© Helvellyn Consulting 2018
Then and Now Photos -
Patterdale School House
It is believed that Patterdale has had a a school since 1645. Thanks to the Revd WP Morris we know that the School House picture here was in fact the site of the original School from 1826 (when it transferred from what is now the Rectory Stable block). Patterdale School on its current site was built in 1873, and extended in 1893. The School was extended again in 2008.
The School House Patterdale c.1900. Picture from the Patterdale Today Website Then and Now section. Traditionally this was the house of the School’s Head Teacher. To the left of the School House were the St Patrick’s Parish Rooms (now the George Starkey Hut). They were opened on May 19th 1899 having been built at a cost of £600. Over the years it served as an overspill for the School, especially during World War Two when the village had many evacuees from the North East of England. There were also Reading Rooms at Patterdale and Glenridding where the daily newspapers could be read.
The Starkey Hut building is still owned by St Patrick’s Church and rented out to the Association of British Members of the Swiss Alpine Club.
The School House today – now privately owned although the proceeds from it’s sale still help fund the current School which like many small rural schools is always under financial pressure.