© Helvellyn Consulting 2018
Then and Now Photos -
Patterdale was always based around its strong farming community, with links to Glenridding and the mines. Patterdale provided the Church (in its current form consecrated in 1853), School and Police Station (built in 1908). The Patterdale Hotel was going strong in 1914 and there used to be a dance hall opposite the hotel in what is now the hotel car park. The King George The Fifth (KGV) field would have been created during his reign (1910-
Patterdale c.1900. This wonderful picture shows the horse drawn coach (fully loaded) approaching the narrow section of road in front of the White Lion. The village water pump can be seen on the left. The houses on the right form part of the “Township” which was later demolished to widen the road (sort of!). The Charabanc is possibly the one operated by Mr R Pears from Crookabeck Farm between Patterdale and Penrith.
The picture is by Joseph Lowe, a famous photographer who lived at Deepdale Bridge, and is reproduced here from the Patterdale Today Website Then and Now section. When Joseph Lowe’s cottage was being renovated in the 1960s the workers found 100’s of old glass plates, no doubt with a priceless set of images capturing life in the dale in the late Victorian and Edwardian period. As is the way of things the story goes that the workers didn’t see any value in them and threw the lot into Goldrill Beck….
Patterdale in 2014. Not quite the same angle but frankly it’s a busy road and taking the same picture as Mr Lowe could be quite dangerous! The townships gone but they never did widen the road much! The White Lion is still going strong.