All text and images © Helvellyn Consulting 2016
Thomas Little (Tom) was born in 1896 in Barrow in Furness. His father Thomas was a consulting engineer and his mother Elizabeth was an architect. In 1911 the family were living in Ainsdale Lancashire. Alongside Tom were his younger brother Charles (born 1898), and sisters Elizabeth Ann (born 1900) and Dorothy Irene (born 1903).
We’re not sure why Tom ended up in the South Wales Borderers, and sadly all we know of his war service is that he died on the 10th November 1917 at the Second Battle of Passchendaele in Belgium. He is buried at the Passchendaele New British Cemetery.
We believe that Tom’s parents bought Goldrill House (what is now the Patterdale YHA) as a holiday house and whilst they owned this we think that they commissioned Daweswood, which they moved in to after the end of World War One. This would explain why Tom is not listed on either the Glenridding Village Hall Roll of Honour or the Patterdale War memorial, as his parents only had a holiday home in the village until after the war. We do know that Daweswood was requisitioned by the War Office during the war and used as a convalescence home -
We do know that his parents remained at Daweswood until their deaths. His mother Elizabeth died on the 4th September 1930 aged 59 -
We also know that Tom’s sister Dorothy married Geoffrey Michael Longsdon, a priest from Plumstead, London on the 22nd June 1926. We are not sure what became of her after that and also what happened to Tom’s younger brother Charles. If you have any information please let us know.
Private Tom Little
44611, "B" Coy. 1st Bn., South Wales Borderers
Born 1896, Barrow in Furness. Died 10th November 1917 aged 21 at the 2nd Battle at Passchendaele.
Son of Thomas Royal Little, and Elizabeth Ann Little, of Goldrill House, and Daweswood Patterdale
Tom’s Gravestone at the Passchendaele New British Cemetery
Daweswood, the Little family home after the war, was used by the War Office throughout World War One
Tom’s Family Gravestone in Patterdale Churchyard, with his parents and sister.
The Little Family in 1911
The photo above was taken in the Dale in the 1950s and shows members of the local WRVS training for possible Cold War fuel shortages. The lady at the front looking directly at the camera with her arms raised is Elizabeth Little, Tom’s sister.
The stained glass window dedicated to Tom’s mother Elizabeth in St Patrick’s Church Patterdale. The inscription reads
“In gratitude to God for the life and joyous memory of Elizabeth Ann Little wife of Thomas R. Little of Daweswood who died 4th September 1930, aged 59 years.”
These carvings were discovered by John Davies-
The top two are clearly the initials of Tom’s parents, Thomas Royal and Elizabeth Ann, and we believe the ones below are for Tom’s sisters, Elizabeth “Betty” Little, and Dorothy Irene.
It would be wonderful to find one for Tom himself….