© Helvellyn Consulting 2021
Then and Now Photos Greenside Road Glenridding
Greenside Road was the one and only access road to Greenside Mine. Nearly all the cottages on the road served the workers from the mine, and as now they continued up past the Travellers Rest to include Halton Terrace and Low, High and Middle Rake. Whereas now many of the cottages offer holiday homes for 4, in those days many of them housed up to 7 people, with outside privies and washhouses. Down in the village Number 1 to 6 of “The Square” housed 22 people in 1911. There was also additional accommodation at the mine itself in the “Barracks”.
Greenside Road Glenridding c.1900. Picture from the Patterdale Today Website Then and Now section.
The houses on the right are Stybarrow Terrace and the building on the left at the bottom of the road was a shop – the building is still there opposite the entrance to the Glenridding Health Centre. It looks like there was another “Liptons Tea” shop at the near end of Stybarrow Terrace.
The same (ish) view in 2014. All the houses on the left are new, as is the house on the left which is blocking the view of the old shop. The road is much wider , there are more cars (although this was a quiet day!) The old Liptons Tea place has gone as well!