© Helvellyn Consulting 2021
Then and Now Photos Ullswater Steamers
The Ullswater Steam Navigation Company was founded in 1855. The main purpose of the Steamers was not only to carry passengers but also Royal Mail, provisions, slate from nearby mines and lead from the Greenside mine above Glenridding. The company became "Ullswater Navigation and Transit Company in 1900 and in 1912 Raven was made a temporary royal yacht and her decks painted yellow to mark the visit of the German Kaiser, Wilhelm II to Lowther Castle, home to the "Yellow Earl" – Lord Lonsdale. It is unlikely this would have been repeated two years later. It is thought that the Steamers stopped operating during some of World War One. During World War II the ‘Steamers’ even ferried soldiers down to Glenridding to be trained at the Ullswater Hotel (now the Inn on the Lake).
For more information on the Ullswater Steamers please visit their website.
The Raven when she was a Steamship. She was launched in July 1889 and was used as a Royal Launch during the Kaisers visit in 1912
The Lady of the Lake Approaching the Jetty at the Ullswater Hotel (now the Inn on the Lake). The Lady of the Lake was launched in June 1877.
The Ullswater ‘Steamers’ is now an award winning environmental accredited Lake District attraction celebrating over 150 years of operating lake cruises on England’s most beautiful lake, Ullswater.
Ullswater ‘Steamers’ create the perfect opportunity to combine a lake cruise with some of the most famous and spectacular walks in the Lake District.